Once you are sufficiently satisfied that you have a stable relationship with your Thai girlfriend then you might just consider marrying her. But make sure you are confident that marriage is for you before you enter into this serious business.
Remember when you marry you are both pledging to live together until “death do us part” and that could be a very long time.
There are two ways to get married in Thailand. The legal way and the traditional way. Some couples carry out both methods. The traditional marriage ceremony can be rather long taking one whole day or in some cases more than one day.
The Thai traditional ceremonial marriage legitimizes your relationship and gives your bride social status in her village.
Here, in my opinion, are some of the advantages and disadvantages of being married to a Thai woman.
You will both gain a sense of security.
2. True Companionship.
You will have a woman who will always be there for you.
You will have someone (quite a bit younger than you) to take care of you in the later years of your life
Someone with whom you can share your deepest and darkest secrets.
You and your wife will appear morally correct in the eyes of society and the general public.
6. Legal Status.
You will be able to obtain a marriage visa which enables you to remain in Thailand without doing those boring border runs. Of course if you are 50 years old or over you will be eligible for a “Retirement” visa which allows you to do the same without being married.
In his eBook After-The-Rush, Bill Williams, who lived in Thailand for more than 19 years, describes the important steps you should consider implimenting before marring a Thai lady.
1. You lose your FREEDOM. That's right no more butterfly adventures for you. No more freedom to go out and do whatever you want, when you want, where you want.
2. You double your Expenses. Double the water bill, electricity bill, food and other consumables.
3. Your Thai wife becomes the big BOSS. That's just the way it swings in Thai culture. She will tell you where you can and can't go, and who you can have for friends.
4. You have sex with the same woman over and over. And over and over again.
5. You will be expected to support her family.
6. Your wife loses her good looks.